Tuesday, June 23, 2015

More on Teeth, Thyroid surgery

Hello everyone!

I have some updates for you since my last post (note that I'm really trying to stay on top of this blog! Today is May 3rd.....) Just a small victory in my world of many set backs!

So for starters, I got my new crown placed - that was all great but the dentist informed me that I still need a lot of work in my mouth - 3 crown replacements and one of my molars has a crack and needs a filling.  My priority is dealing with the cracked molar so I don't end up losing it too!  That appointment has been made although now that I'm looking for the date I don't see it on my calendar so I'll need to call and make sure I really made the appointment.  Gotta love the fibro brain!

I saw the surgeon on Thursday last week.  He said because one of my many goiters is 6 cm in size, very large for a goiter, the thyroid should come out.  He explained that with goiters 4cm and larger they automatically want to take it out due to increased risk of cancer.  He said even though my biopsies have been benign, there still is the chance of having cancer cells that either were not captured or will develop.  He followed that up with telling me that those cancer cells may never do anything but they prefer to get rid of any potential of having cancer.  I agree with that!  We discussed what that means for me - basically taking a pill everyday for life, a scar on the base of my neck and possible issues with calcium which would be treated with high doses of calcium.  He did discuss with me the possible risk of vocal cord issues or voice box issues to which he said the risk is only about 1% and usually temporary in nature. He said it doesn't mean my voice would be lost but that I would have a hoarse sounding voice for an unknown length of time that generally fixes itself unless there is nerve damage.  Hospital stay over night and potentially a drain for a week.  He said the drain will help fluids that might want to accumulate due to the large vacancy that will be left from the 6cm goiter.

So I have that surgery scheduled for June 26th.  Due to the continued growth of goiters on the thyroid I feel my best option is to remove it to stop the growths.  Taking a pill forever is an easy fix and I won't have to deal with the painful biopsies every year anymore.

According to research, there is a link between fibromyalgia and thyroid problems.  There are a lot of thyroid diseases so I personally find it hard to make the connection especially if the hormones are within a normal range when tested.  I have tried for years to tell my endocrinologist that I think I have hypothyroidism but she insists that my blood work proves otherwise because all my numbers fall within the "normal" range.

(Note that I started writing this on May 3rd, today I am finishing it and it's June 23rd - I guess my quest to stay on top of it kind of failed with end of the school year and summer coming upon us....but hey, at least I came back to it!)

So back to those Normal ranges.  Since I wrote the above, I had another blood test to check my numbers - the following information is what I was given.

The blood tests ordered were TSH, Thyroxine (T4), T3 uptake


  • TSH - 0.749 (Normal ranges for this lab - 0.450-4.500) I'm barely above normal 
  • Thyroxine (T4) - 5.4 (normal ranges 4.5-12.0) This one is low 
  • T3 uptake - 30 (normal ranges 24-39) This one seems OK 
  • Free T4 1.6 (normal ranges 1.2-4.9)  This one again, just above the normal zone
Does anyone notice something with my numbers?  The first thing I thought was that my numbers, while "normal" are very, very much on the lowest end of normal.  This could explain and account for a lot of health problems and general issues I deal with daily!  

I'm pretty nervous as I approach my surgery.  Today the hospital called with details for the day of - I have to arrive at the hospital to check in at 5:30 am and the surgery is scheduled for 7:30 am.  I'll be there over night and as long as everything is good they will let me go home the next day.

I just really hope everything goes well and that I don't have any issues with my thyroid levels after all is said and done.  I'm hoping the meds they put me on will raise the low numbers - that would mean the Dr will have to prescribe me the "right" dose from the beginning.....praying for that!

I want to go back to the numbers real quick.  Each lab has a different "normal" range for those thyroid numbers.  So out of curiosity, I went and searched on google for normal thyroid numbers and found that is could vary from 0.3 to 5.0 and anywhere in between as "normal".....my immediate question is "normal for WHO?"  Not me, that's for sure!  I would be willing to put money down that if my low numbers were raised I would notice a huge difference in how I feel on a regular basis, day to day.........

Enough thyroid talk, school was done June 4th for me, the kids were out a week before that.  My daughter took a little over a week to spend with her auntie and grandma (she calls her "bacca" and it really doesn't mean anything, the kids made it up when they were babies) in California.  She had pictures done for her birthday and enjoyed being with the family.  

Ryan went to a spring football camp with his high school and enjoyed that.  He is in strength/conditioning through the summer through his school as well.  Come fall he will hopefully be playing a little football!  I just run the kids back and forth anymore :)

Taylor turned 16 on June 8th, that same day she got her driver permit and a job as a cashier at Wal-Mart.  She is playing volleyball 3 hours a day as well right now getting ready for upcoming team camps she will be participating in for the rest of the summer.

BUSY is an understatement for our little family but it's good this way, keeps us all out of trouble ;)

So as I approach my surgery I want to wish you well and please send me a little extra positive thoughts and visions of healing fast.  

Until next time......(I will try to post an update on my surgery as soonas I can!)


Gerri :)







No comments:

Post a Comment